Right-of-Way & Utilities

What is the Right-of-Way? 

 On residential streets, the right-of-way can be estimated to extend 25 feet from the center of the road or about 11 feet from the back of the curb or edge of the street pavement. To determine the actual right-of-way on a specific property you need to check Jackson County Property Records and/or have a survey completed. While the property owner is required to maintain this area, the City has the right and responsibility to ensure proper and safe use of the right-of-way.                             

 Right-of-Way Example


It is the property owner's responsibility to keep the sidewalk area free of brush and tree limbs. In addition, it is recommended that sidewalks be kept in good order and clear of ice, snow, dirt or other substances that obstruct or render the sidewalk dangerous. If sidewalks are unsafe, the property owner may obtain a Right-of-Way Permit and make repairs to bring the sidewalk back into compliance with City Code. 



There are two types of curbs: roll-back and square-back. Most areas have roll-back curbs. Some areas have no curbs at all. 


Roadside Ditching 

Ditches are the property owner's responsibility to maintain. Re-grading ditches or any other construction on ditches in the right-of-way requires a Right-of-Way Permit.  


Driveway Pipes and Crossroad Pipes 

Driveway pipes run underneath the property owner's driveway. Property owners are responsible for cleaning and maintaining these pipes. Driveway pipes are generally in the right-of-way, so replacement requires a Right-of-Way Permit. No permit is required for routine maintenance or cleaning of driveway pipes. Crossroad pipes run underneath city streets.  City crews clean and maintain crossroad pipes.  


What are Utility Easements? 

These are areas where a utility (ex: Evergy, Spire, Water, City Sewer, Telecommunications, etc.) has permission to enter a property to maintain utility lines.  For more information, contact the specific utility. 


Permit Information: 

No work in the City’s Right of Way may begin until a permit is issued. A Raytown business license is required to perform work in the City’s Right of Way. All work performed under a Right-of-Way permit must be completed within 60 calendar days from the date the permit is issued. Permit fees are to accompany the application: 

  • $125 application fee for every 200 contiguous feet.   
  • $70 Temporary Traffic Control Fee   
  • $50 Street Cut Fee for each cut, or for each 200 linear feet of trench.
Click here for the City’s Right-of-Way permit requirements and application.